Dangers of Rawhides for Dogs

Somewhere along the line as a pet parent, you might have heard that rawhide chews are good for your dog's teeth and help with their natural instinct to chew. While it might help with your dog's teeth it can also lead to punctured intestines, digestive problems, death, and expensive veterinarian bills.

 

What are rawhide dog treats made of?

 

Manufacturers of rawhide for dogs often use the inner layer of horse or cowhides. Typically, the hides are cleaned then ground or cut before being pressed into a chewable dog treat. Sometimes flavorings such as liver, chicken or beef are added to the ingredients to become more appealing for dogs.​

 

Risks Associated with Rawhide Dog Treats

 

  • Contamination - Rawhide dog treats can contain small amounts of toxic chemicals that can lead to illness. Salmonella or E Coli contamination is common in rawhides. 

  • Digestive problems - Diarrhea is a common symptom of digestive irritation due to an allergic reaction or sensitivity to the ingredients in rawhide.

  •  Blockages or choking - A common issue with rawhide is small or large pieces getting stuck in the esophagus or other parts of the digestive system. Usually, veterinarians need to remove the pieces from the throat and abdominal region which involves surgery. If a blockage due to rawhide consumption is not resolved it can lead to death.

Symptoms and Signs Your Dog has Consumed Rawhide

 

As a pet parent, you want to avoid giving your dog rawhide. However, if you have already done so make sure you pay close attention to your dog and act quickly if you notice any of the signs listed below:

  • Regurgitation

  • Gagging

  • Vomiting

  • Repeated swallowing

  • Lack of energy

  • Fever

  • Non-bloody diarrhea

  • Weight loss

  • Refusal to eat 

  • Whimpering in pain

 

Why You Should Never Feed Your Dog Rawhides 

 

  • It doesn't provide nutritional benefits

  • It can cause your dog to choke

  • It can lead to an emergency trip to the animal hospital

  • Small particles can get caught in the digestive tract causing diarrhea and other digestive problems

  • Large rawhide pieces can cause blockages in the digestive tract Blockages that are not treated can lead to death

  • Veterinarian treatment and surgery for rawhide blockages is expensive and can cost $1,600 or more

As a parent, you want to provide your dog with a healthy lifestyle. Allowing them to use their chewing instinct is essential to their well-being. However, rawhide can lead to serious health issues that are irreversible.

 

Many pet parents that have given their dog rawhide have horror stories that include emergency surgery and their dog being close to the brink of death. Unfortunately, many pet owners have lost their pets due to the simple fact that, with good intentions, they gave their dog rawhide to chew and eat. 
 

The good news is, rawhide is not a necessary requirement for your dog's health or diet regimen. A basic canine raw diet provides your dog with all of the nutrition, vitamins, and minerals they need to be healthy throughout their lifetime! 

 

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me.

Our number is 407-245-7350.


 

 

Enjoy the season!

 

If you haven't already, and want to become part of our Berger Blanc Suisse US Community, go www.Facebook.com/bergerblancsuisseus.  Be sure you like and save our page for updates on litters and puppy education.

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

Featured Posts

Holistic Dog Breeding: All About Natural Rearing

1/10
Please reload

Recent Posts
Please reload

Archive
Please reload

Search By Tags